DA 211: Disciplined Agile Data Warehousing (DW)/Business Intelligence (BI) Workshop
Times noted below are Eastern Daylight time (UTC - 5:00)
July 11, Tuesday - 11:00 am - 3:00 pm (EDT)
July 12, Wednesday - 11:00 am - 3:00 pm (EDT)
This workshop is being held over 2 days with approximately 4 hour sessions each day. You must attend both sessions to complete the workshop.
Organizations want to gain the benefits of agile – greater quality, improved stakeholder satisfaction, faster delivery, and higher productivity – for their Data Warehouse (DW)/Business Intelligence (BI) teams. In today's competitive business environment new DW/BI solutions must be delivered in weeks, not months or years. Enhancements must be delivered in hours or days, not weeks or months. These delivery timeframes sound like fanciful thinking for traditional teams but are commonly achieved by teams following Disciplined Agile approaches. The good news is that proven techniques exist for DW/BI practitioners to work in an agile manner. The bad news is that many existing DW/BI practitioners don't know that these techniques exist, or if they do they don't know how to apply them in practice. This workshop introduces these agile DW/BI techniques and shows how they fit together in practice.
Very often people start with Scrum, but they quickly discover that to make Scrum work for Agile DW/BI it needs to be significantly extended to address the challenges of DW/BI teams. These extensions include initial planning, initial requirements elicitation, initial architecture modeling, agile data modeling throughout construction, continuous database development, and streamlined deployment activities to name a few. The Disciplined Agile 2.0 process decision framework has already done this extension work to address the challenges faced by DW/BI teams. Furthermore, because DA seamlessly supports both Scrum-based and continuous delivery strategies it is suitable for DW/BI teams new to agile as well as experienced teams looking to improve their approach. This workshop teaches you the techniques required to make agile DW/BI teams successful. An important aspect of this workshop is working through a DW/BI-specific case study.
Scott W. Ambler is a thought leader behind several Agile strategies. He provides training, coaching, and mentoring in disciplined agile and lean strategies at both the project and organizational level. Scott is the founder of the Agile Modeling (AM), Agile Data (AD), Disciplined Agile (DA), and Enterprise Unified Process (EUP) methodologies. He is the (co-) author of several books, including Disciplined Agile Delivery, Refactoring Databases, Agile Modeling, Agile Database Techniques, The Object Primer 3rd Ed., and The Enterprise Unified Process. Scott blogs about DA at DisciplinedAgileDelivery.com. Scott is also a Founding Member of the Disciplined Agile Consortium (DAC), the certification body for disciplined agile.
- Fundamentals of DW/BI
- How to initiate a disciplined agile DW/BI team, with a focus on:
- Initial requirements modeling
- Initial architecture modeling
- Initial planning
- How disciplined agile DW/BI construction works, with a focus on agile database practices such as:
- Agile data modeling
- Agile DW architecture and design strategies
- Vertical slicing of DW/BI requirements to enable incremental delivery
- Database regression testing
- Continuous database integration
- Database refactoring
- DW/BI Managers or practitioners: If Agile DW/BI is new to you and if you wish an effective launch of Agile DW/BI
- Agile DW/BI practitioners: If you want to take Agile DW/BI to the next level
- Senior Business & IT Management: If you want to understand how a disciplined approach to Agile DW/BI works in practice
- Attendees learn about fundamental agile database techniques that are critical to the success of Agile DW/BI development
- Attendees learn how to apply Disciplined Agile strategies
- Attendees earn the designation of Disciplined Agilist
Please view DAD recorded presentations before the first session of the workshop to ensure all registrants have knowledge of the DA framework.
- Length: Two days – 4 hours of online learning classroom time each day
- Prerequisites: DA101: The Disciplined Agile Experience Certification Prep Workshop, DA104: Introduction to Disciplined Agile, or the DA105: Disciplined Agile In A Nutshell workshop.